I’m Dan Moore. This blog is a series of letters to my past self, illustrating lessons I’ve learned and what I wish I had known when I was just starting.
I’m a developer with about twenty years of experience. I’ve been around the block when it comes to working as a software developer.
I’ve worked in the following settings:
- startups like Katasi and Format Dynamics
- large companies like Oracle and Level 3
- small companies like XOR and Culture Foundry
- and my current employer, FusionAuth
I’ve co-founded startups, and I’ve been an individual contributor, a team lead and a manager. I have run side projects, some for years.
In my career, I’ve been a consultant, a contractor, an instructor, an intern, a speaker and a full time employee. I’m active in the software community in Boulder, helping to organize the Boulder Ruby meetup. You can also find me on Hacker News, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Stackoverflow.
I love to write and I’ve been blogging about my software experiences since 2003. I’ve written a book about mobile software development and authored a video course about Amazon Machine Learning. I also have written a book of Letters To a New Developer. Here’s my Amazon author page.
I’ve been interviewed a few times on podcasts:
- Dan Moore went from sci-fi to devrel
- Letters to A New Developer – Interview with Dan Moore
- Tips For New Developers
- Letters to a new dev
- Blogging, how to get started in the start-up world and building developer relationships in a virtual world
And here’s a video of a presentation I gave, Three Things I Wish I’d Known When I was a New Developer. I presented at Develop Denver in 2019.
I’m happy to speak to your group of new or experienced developers. Contact me if you’d like to learn more.